Cleaning your eyeglasses is a daily ritual. While we tend to use whatever is handy to clean them, some habits may not be as useful as we think.
The sole purpose of cleaning your eyeglasses is to remove the residue or dirt without affecting the lenses. Different types of glasses require different handling. When you buy your eyeglasses you must ask about the ways to take care of them. If you don't take proper care of your glasses then they will not provide you a clear vision thereby increasing the eyestrain.
When your prescription glasses get dirty, you simply cannot just wipe them on your pants and be done with it. The lenses are very delicate, and they can easily sustain scratches.
You can clean your glass by washing it under warm water.
- First remove the dirt by rubbing with a fine silk cloth.
- Then rinse the glass with warm water.
- After that apply a mild detergent in your hands and make circular motion in the lenses to remove the oils and residue. (Use an alcohol based solution or even add 3-4 drops of dish washing detergent to plain water. )
- Rinse again with warm water. When all the dust is cleared the water will be repelled by the lens and you can dry the glass with a soft cotton cloth. (Always use a good quality microfiber cloth as normal tissues have wooden fibres in them that can scratch the lens.)
- You must wipe the entire moisture in the lens and the frames to keep your glass clean and durable.
Don’t forget the nose pad!
The inside (nasal) edge of the eyeglass lenses, where they meet the bridge of the frame, is a prime spot for collecting sweat and oil. Make sure to give this area some extra love.
For cleaning the nose pads of your glass you can use baby tooth brushes or special brushes for cleaning nose pads. You must not let the brush rub the lens as its bristles may scratch your lens.
For plastic frames without nose pads, make sure to clean the portion of the bridge in contact with your nose to remove built-up oil and sweat.
Some important tips to protect your eyeglasses:
- Do not try to clean your lenses without an appropriate liquid like warm soapy water. You have to take extra time to wash off the dirt and grime from the spectacle lenses.
- If you rub your lenses dry with paper towels, handkerchief or tissue papers, you will be doing more harm than good.
- When there is dirt on the lenses, do not use a dry soft cloth to scrub it off. This might scratch the lenses. You can wash the grain of dirt away first, and then dry them up.
- Invest in a good quality eye glasses cleaning kit so that you can clean your glasses at any time wherever you may be.
- Never place the eyeglasses lense side down onto any surface.
- While drying, do not rub the lenses, since that might result in scratches.
- Whenever you are not using your glasses, keep them well covered with a soft cloth and then tuck them away in your spectacle case.
- Do not throw your glasses recklessly into your bag. The lenses might get scratched by the other items in your bag.
- While removing the glass, use both the hands so that frame does not bend.
You might have to wear your glasses all the time every day. Your glasses might get dirty, but you can easily follow the steps given above to clean them up and use them without any problems.
If you do not take care of your glasses, there will be a high chance that you might destroy them, and you no longer will be able to use them. This will mean that you will have to end up paying more amount of money because of your reckless, irresponsible ways.
When you have designer glasses then you have to be more careful as they are expensive. Your glass will stay new and fresh as long you take proper care. It is better therefore, that you wash your glasses every single day. You can wear your glasses for the entire day, and work as you usually do. But once you return home, you can wash your glasses and clean the lenses with a lot of care by following the steps mentioned above.